ARTIST FEATURE 08: MOLLIE HELLIWELL

Tuesday 27 March 2018

This week, we're featuring Mollie Helliwell, a childrens book writer and illustrator. Mollie is a recent graduate, who works with paint, gouache and watercolour in limited colour pallets. Her work revolves around nature, and primarily plants; a love of which comes from her Grandmother.

Hello Mollie. Will you introduce yourself?
My name is Mollie Helliwell. I'm an illustrator, I primarily paint.  I paint a lot of plants and colour and patterns are a big part of my work.









When did you start creating art?
I’ve always been creative, but I didn’t seriously start focusing on creating art until I was 16. I actually wanted to be a vet, but discovered at GCSEs that I am appalling at science! I knew I enjoyed art but it was something I had ever considered as a career path before that point.

You have a very particular style. Have you always worked in this way? Or is it relatively new? 
 This was a style I developed in my final year of university in Norwich. I had been working my watercolours and my tutor said I needed to ‘turn the volume up’ so I bought some gouache and I just loved  the way I could paint the same way but with flat, bright colours and strong bold lines




So, lets talk about plants. They feature everywhere in your work. Where did that come from? Are you green fingered in real life too? 
My love of plants originates from my Gran, she has so many plants in her house! When one of her collection was dying she would give it to me, as she didn’t have the time to revive it herself. Most of the many plants in my room are hers. My work is inspired heavily by my own associations with 'home'. I think I try to create snapshots spaces where I want to be, like my grans house. Her house is full of plants and she has always encouraged me to draw. My work is very nostalgia based.  




I see that you're also a childrens book writer. Will you tell us a little bit more about that?
I love writing, and a lot of my children’s book ideas come from experiences with my siblings, I’m one of six and we all get on well, so I have a lot of fun ideas from that. My love for making children’s books is quite selfish though, really I just like writing silly things to make myself laugh.

Do you find it challenging juggling art and work as a young person in 2018
Yes, I work 40 hours a week away from Illustration and I think sometimes the inspiration gets drained away when you’re that tired. 

We feel you on that front.... You've recently graduated. What’s your favourite thing about living here? 
I love the opportunities that Brighton presents. I also love living near the sea, that novelty hasn’t worn off yet.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions or more sales planned in the near futures?
I recently did an exhibition with some students which was a lot of fun, it was very last minute and not many people came but being in a creative space and just curating my work was refreshing. I’m hoping to do more soon.

We feel you on that front.... You've recently graduated from the University of Brighton. What’s your favourite thing about living here? 
I love the opportunities that Brighton presents. I also love living near the sea, that novelty hasn’t worn off yet.
 .  
Do you have any upcoming exhibitions or more sales planned in the near futures?
I recently did an exhibition with some students which was a lot of fun, it was very last minute and not many people came but being in a creative space and just curating my work was refreshing. I’m hoping to do more soon.

You can find more of Mollie's lovely pieces on her website molliehelliwell.com, where she also has some childrens comic strips. Her instagram is @molliehelliwell where she also posts regularly.


Post a Comment

© WORKS WITHOUT WALLS. Design by FCD.