ARTIST FEATURE 07: BETH HOLMES

Wednesday 21 March 2018



It's Artist Feature 07, and today we're looking at Beth Holmes. Beth makes beautiful abstract pieces using a rich colour palette. She is currently studing Fine Art painting at Brighton University.

Hello Beth! Would you tell us a bit about yourself and your work? 
Hey! I’m Beth Holmes and I study Fine Art Painting at the University of Brighton. I don’t know how I would describe my work but an on-going question I ask myself when making my works is; what is  it about the materiality and aesthetics of paint that is seductive, appealing and gives the viewer an emotive response? I usually explore this question through the captivation caused by gestural, spontaneous and painterly marks on a canvas leaving emotionally charged results.

With these notions in mind it is important for the painterly elements of my pieces to communicate a directness of experience to the viewer. However, if the paint does something unexpected or a line slips in an unintended direction, this is all part of the process. I also want my paintings to have traces of where they have been made, such as unintended marks or dirt from the studio. For me, it's all about the process of it's making. I think traces like this give the viewer a real sense of my emotive process.

When did you start creating art?  
My Mum is very creative too so I have been making art since I can remember, and have always attended exhibitions. I enjoy many ways of creating art, however, I was always particularly fascinated by painting.


Lets talk about your process of creation. We love that you want your finished piece to really demonstrate its creative journey, can you tell us more?  
I don’t like to restrict my painting by having too much of a method. I will sometimes make very specific plans for a work but I almost never stick to the original idea, my paintings have usually been about 4 paintings before reaching their final outcome. A lot of my works arise from quick and unplanned works on paper that I believe are successful but will usually always evolve. I really enjoy the process of not really knowing how a work will end up and enjoying exciting surprise.



Would you say you try and get specific themes across in your work? 
I have tried to get across specific themes in my paintings in the past. I feel like I have a lot to say, however, when it comes to painting I think the most important part for me is exploring the aesthetic qualities that lie within the process of painting. When I put too much emphasis on trying to put across a message in my work before, I feel that I become too detached from the painting itself. I know that when I start focusing on trying to make my work clearer, I try and remind myself of the simple yet magnificent effect of a painterly gestural mark on a canvas.

Yes! We find your work very freeing to look at. We also noticed that you replicate the same shapes and colours in your work. Is this for a specific reason? 
There isn’t really a specific reason, a lot of my works will start from drawings and from quick gestural mark making on paper and shapes and compositions start to evolve from them. I like some shapes to be re-occurring as I feel it links the works together. If I think a mark, shape or certain colours work well I try to incorporate them into other works and let them evolve in different compositions.

I believe for a lot of artists particular shapes and colours start to become their voice and painterly language. However, this can also change; I am currently working on some pieces whereby the colours are very different to ones I usually use and I am very excited to see if this alters the overall mood of the painting.



That sounds exciting! So, who are your favourite artists? 
I have been influenced by an array of artists, however, some that are particularly influential to my current work are artists such as ,Cy Twombly, Roger Hilton, Basil Beattie and Roy Oxlade, all who have styles in which favour openness and risk-taking; a notion I believe to make the most successful of paintings.

We love Cy Twombly! Do you find it challenging juggling art and work as a young person in 2018?
I do find it very hard, painting is expensive, so you need to work to be able to afford all the equipment and studio space but at the same time you need to be constantly producing work and spending most of your time in the studio, so it’s a constant battle.


You're still studying at Brighton University. What’s your favourite thing about living in Brighton? 
I love so many things about living in Brighton but one of the first things that attracted me to it was the people, I feel like people are friendlier here and also extremely open minded and accepting.

Are you creative in any other ways?
To be honest most of my attention goes into painting and drawing but I do have a passion for cooking and being creative in the kitchen, I really enjoy experimenting with different flavours and textures which I guess comes across in my painting too!

Post a Comment

© WORKS WITHOUT WALLS. Design by FCD.