ARTIST FEATURE 09: JAMES WILSON

Tuesday 3 April 2018

Wow. We’re so close to hitting ten whole weeks of amazing local artists and today we’ve got another lovely Brighton based artist for you. James works mostly on simple line drawings, with bright colours and bold simplifications. Here is just a small selection of his wonderful work. Echoing Matisse, or Picasso’s sketches, James has undoubtley already made waves in the local art scene with collaborations with Nola Boutique Brighton and a steadily rising instagram follower count.

Hi James! Will you tell us a bit more about yourself? 
My name is James Wilson, I'm an artist / illustrator based in brighton, my work is minimal, tonal, and positive. A big part of my work is drawing woman who are a real! I want to portray real women with real figures. I guess I want to create a positive message about loving who you are.



So, when did you start creating art?
Only around 11 months ago! I first picked up a brush and ink, and it sort of spiraled from there. I like trying new mediums and working on things to find my own unique style.

When you work do you have a specific method of working? Or is more a habit of drawing when you feel suddenly inspired?
I never try and force myself to create. If I see or hear something that inspires me I'll draw. For me, it's relaxing to just step back and see what comes out.

Have you always intentionally planned on Art being your passion and/or your career? Did you study Art at university?
I've never studied art! I never even intended for art to be a way for me to be creative. Primarily, I'm a musician and studied music at uni.



Would you say you try and get specific themes across in your work?
I try to keep my colour palette warm and positive. I imagine my art in the warm glow of the south of France! Theme-wise, I don't purposely keep to a certain style, I just enjoy drawing still life and life drawing. The human body is my biggest inspiration

Who are your favourite artists?
My favourites are such a generic list that shows I've only really been into art for a year or so…but at the moment: Matisse, Picasso, Hockney, Elsworth Kelly, and Georgia O'Keeffe. I’m pushing myself to learn more and more about different artists everyday.



Do you find it challenging juggling art, work and life as a young person in 2018?
I do, probably more so than most. I have a 2 year old son and another one on the way due in June. Juggling art with work and children is hard but my children are what push me to create and make the world a slightly nicer place.

Having social media I'm sure makes it so much easier to be an artist compared with years ago though. I can have a baby in one hand and be drawing or emailing / posting with the other!


Your work includes a lot of nude sketches. How do you gain inspiration?
I go to life drawing sessions, I use photos, some times I'll ask my fiancé to pose for me. It's really a mixture

You've collaborated a lot recently with clothing brands. Do you have any more collabs planned in the near futures?

I have a several lined up. Some are finalized and others are just ideas and dreams. I'm working with a store in Amsterdam called TITS creating a t-shirt for them, and another shop in Canada called Rook and Rose designing their 2018 tote bag. I’m also exhibiting at ONCA on 6/7TH of April for cortex creatives. You can also see my work in NOLA hung up on the walls.

What does it mean to you to collaborate with local companies and brands?
I love collaborating, working with people is the best bit about being a creative, and to work with such amazing Brighton based brands is great. It means I get to see my work when I walk to work, as well as everyone who walks past too. To be honest, it's an honour that people want to work with me. I'm always looking for new projects to take on.


Are you creative in any other ways? 
Yes, I'm actually a musician by trade that's what I studied at uni. I'm a cereal creative I am always picking up new things to try them, the other day I bought a mini weaving loom.


You can find James on instagram here, and buy his prints here. 



Post a Comment

© WORKS WITHOUT WALLS. Design by FCD.