ARTIST FEATURE 06 : SONNY FLYNN

Tuesday 13 March 2018


It's Artist Feature 06, and today we're talking to the fabulous Sonny Flynn, a recent Illustration Graduate from the University Of Brighton. His inspirations include: Pop Culture, Politics, Animals, Fashion and everything which he describes as being "ugly/cute". We absolutely love Sonny's playful, bright and beautiful illustrations. We caught up with him to find out more, and talk Lady Gaga, Brighton and Pepperami....

Hi Sonny! Will you tell us a little more about yourself?
My name is Sonny Alfred Flynn. I am an Illustrator, Designer, complete piss taker and a good time! I would describe my work as Loud, Proud and Row(dy).

So, when did you start creating art?
I’ve been drawing since I was very young and for me, it's always been a kind of escape. Growing up through secondary school I didn't have many friends and and was bullied a lot. Drawing was my therapy and my bedroom walls were once covered head to toe in sketches and drawings... Many of which depicted Lady Gaga in an array of her elaborate outfits.




We would love to see those Gaga sketches... Would you say you have a specific method of working?
Sometimes I like to work based off reactions to current Political or Pop Cultural Events and other times I like to take inspiration from my friends it really just depends on what side of the bed I wake up on.  I like to get Political. For me facing difficulties growing up I realised how prejudice feels and it really has had an effect on me. I don't want anyone regardless of Sexuality, race or gender etc. to feel what I felt so I will take any opportunity to stand up for what I believe to be right and be unapologetically me. 


Who are your favourite artists?
Mark Ryden, Keith Harring and Hattie Steward.







Do you find it challenging juggling art and work as a young person in 2018? 
Yes. My goal and Dream is to be able to make my Art my full time job. (Duh. Isn't that every artist’s dream?)

You live between London and Brighton, but what's your favourite thing about living by the sea?
The People. Everyone is so much nicer here! It's a place where I feel accepted and 100% comfortable to act as obnoxiously queer as I wish and because of that it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Your work plays a lot off modern media culture from politics to TV, with portraits including Danielle Bregoli of 'cash me Outside' fame, Donald Trump surrounded by cocks or queens from Ru Paul's Drag Race. Is this something you deliberately try to comment on it your work?
Yes, I would say that pop Culture is definitely something that has become a running theme.

You recently worked with Pepperami to create awesome custom painted leather jackets. Will you talk us through that?
I saw an advertisement looking for artists so I sent over some pictures of my work and they said yes! It was pretty open and the theme was "BEEF/MEAT" so I created 3 custom Leather "Beefy Biker Bling" Jackets which were showcased at an exhibition/Product Launch in Soho. The Jackets were then auctioned off and raised over £500 for the homeless charity "Glassdoor". I also got send a years supply of Pepperami.... yum.






Do you have any upcoming exhibitions or more sales planned in the near futures?
I have some custom jackets which I'm panning to put up on my site within the next two weeks as well as a new print and maybe even a new T-Shirt design...


Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about - spread the word about - talk us through?
I'd just like to say to anyone who could be potentially reading this that they should follow their dreams and do what they love. I may not have achieved my dreams just yet but i promise you will have a lot of fun along the way.


You can find Sonny's website here and instagram here. 

Post a Comment

© WORKS WITHOUT WALLS. Design by FCD.