ARTIST FEATURE 05 : EVE DE HAAN / HALF A ROAST CHICKEN

Tuesday 6 March 2018


We've hit Artist Feature 05. This week, we're looking at another amazing female artist in honour of International Womens Day this Thursday. Eve De Haan makes art that speaks to you. No, really, it does. Clearly, a degree in Theology has seeped into her Art. Eve makes big, beautiful neon sculptures under the alias Half a Roast Chicken. This is art that speaks for itself; pushing the boundaries of the written word, art, sculpture. She's already racked up some really impressive collobrations and features including  GQ, The Times, Style and Refinery29.

Hello Eve! It's lovely to chat to you. Will you introduce yourself and your work?
My name is Eve De Haan and I make art under the name Half a Roast Chicken. I would best describe my work as provocative. 

When did you start creating art? 
I've been making art since I can remember. I have always loved painting actually, I think thats what I've been doing for the longest. 



Would you say you have quite a specific method of creating new pieces? Or do they blossom out of sudden inspiration?
I work organically for sure, I don't like to put pressure on creativity. Sometimes I have to work to a deadline though, but i also enjoy that. I usually find it hard to finish one piece, and usually i'm working on a couple of pieces at the same time. 

Would you say you try and get specific themes across in your work?

I think the main theme that runs through my work is a conversation about the growth of technology and it's impact on youth culture. Lots of what I make, is a commentary of how I think technology has impacted culture. Recently I have been focusing on the way women are presented through the mainstream media.



Who are your favourite artists?
My favourite neon artists are Romily Alice and Meryl Pataky. I also love David Shrigley, Martin Creed, Tracey Emin and Barkley L.Hendricks. 

We love Romily Alice too. Her work is amazing! Do you find it challenging juggling art and work as a young person in 2018? 
I think it is challenging, but the challenge is part of it. There is a great community of young artists in London that all want to help each other and that makes it easier to always be able to ask for advice. 


Well, on that note, what’s your favourite thing about living in London?
I love wall watching in London. I think the street art here is some of the best in the world, especially around Hackney.  

Joseph Kosuth, a leading 60s conceptual artist, called Neon Art "Public Writing". Where do you find the words/phrases you create in neon from? Is there anything in particular that inspires you to make work with words?
All the phrases from my work come from everyday life. Sometimes I hear conversations in the street, then I write them on my phone and modify them. Sometimes I hear something on tv, or it could be a meandering thought. I have a massive list of phrases on my phone that i update everyday. I always look back at this list for reference when i make new work. 

You've worked with NIKE, and The Museum of Neon Art. Do you have any upcoming exhibitions or more sales planned in the near future?
Yes I currently have solo show, Distraction, on at 189 Shoreditch High street until the 9th March. I'm also in a group show entitled Empowerment, curated by Nasty Women and Creative Debuts, which is opening on the 8th March with part of the proceeds going to the End Violence Against Women Coalition. I've also got work showing at Imitate Modern's show, Down the rabbit hole, opening the 8th March. I am also really excited about one of my pieces moving from the Museum of Neon in LA  to The Midway in San Fransisco at the beginning of April. 



Wow - that all sounds so exciting. What has been your favourite collab to date?
I made a sweet piece with Harry Cartwright. We mixed painting, photography and neon. 

Are you creative in any other ways? 
I wrote and illustrated a children's book as my first artistic project after university. I am still really proud of it, and hope soon I can try and make another one.

We have to ask.. where does “half a roast chicken” come from? What does it mean? 
I came up with the name Half a roast chicken because it had nothing to do with me or my art, I thought it was funny. 

A lot of your work seems to be rooted in feminist issues. Do you think Art is a good platform to discuss issues such as gender, sexuality, race and social problems?
I think art is the perfect platform to encourage discussion around important issues such as race and gender issues. In relation to gender issues, I feel strongly about women not having to feel pressured to reveal too much of themselves on public platforms. I think it is really common for women to feel like they have to show their bodies to gain popularity, especially on social media. I believe there is power in the beauty of our bodies, and women should be able to show whatever they like, but i think the conversation about the underlying pressures that young women may feel when engaging with social media, needs to be spoken about more. I am worried about the future generations and how they will react to the backlash of the boom of social media. 

If you're a Londonder too, you can see Eve's exhibition Distraction, on at 189 Shoreditch High street up until this Friday. You can follow her on her instagram here, and find her online here.

Post a Comment

© WORKS WITHOUT WALLS. Design by FCD.