ARTIST FEATURE 14: ALEXANDER OWEN

Tuesday 8 May 2018

It's our 14th Works Without Walls Artist Feature, and this week we're talking to Alexander Owen. Alexander is currently studying Illustration and Visual Media at UALand is in his last year. His work is hugely varied, from digital illustration and embroidery, to large scale paintings and print-making. A lot of Alexander's work is infused with themes such as sexuality, connection and reaction, with pieces like Fantasy & Desire (2017) where a queer foursome hold an orgy of sorts, embroidered upon a leather sheet. We had a chat with Alexander about his inspirations, his methods of working and living in London.

Hi Alex! Will you tell us a bit more about yourself?
Hi! I’m Alexander Owen. I’m currently in my final year of my degree at UAL studying Illustration & Visual Media. My work explores themes of connection and sexuality through big visuals and authored realities. I’m based in London.

When did you start creating art? 
I was always interested in art, ever since a young age. However, I don’t think I took it seriously as a career until I was 16.

When I first started, it was a lot of drawing which is how most people get into art I think. Since then my practice isn’t really drawing based, but I do still enjoy using it during my process. I also try and incorporate multimedia when it works with my pieces, so previous installations have involved embroidered tapestries with video projected onto it, or my multimedia paintings from this year.

Would you say you try and get specific themes across in your work?
Similar themes do tend to come up in my work, whether it’s a conscious or unconscious decision. Often, I'll have certain ideas I want to explore that maybe I express them through several works and still not feel like I’ve finished.

Where do you get inspiration from?
My work usually stems from ideas and experiences I’ve had or have been thinking about for a while. It all draws from similar themes of connection and expression so everything is linked in one way or another.

How is your personality reflected in your work?
I take my work seriously in the sense that I want everything to look as good as it can, so I think this aspect is definitely present. I think also the fact that I’m a big personality, so my work reflects that in the way that it is usually large and grabs attention.

How do you overcome creative block?
When I get stuck I tend to just tackle my work from another angle. I like to go back and look at earlier development work and see how I could work it more and that often leads to ideas for newer works.

Your work is very varied in terms of form. Are there any particular elements you enjoy working with most and why? 
I really love working with scale. There is something about making larger scale works that elevates the piece. As well as this, I've always believed that the only common factor that matters is that the work is made by the same artist - as long as it's done to the best standard you can people will enjoy it.

Masculinity (2017)
C-Type Print on Aluminium Dibond


Delving a bit deeper into your work, we love the fact that you often justapose symbols of classic 'masculinity' (chains, football gear etc) with bright 'feminine' colours, or 'feminine' symbolism. Is playing with these kinds of themes something you've always done? Or is it quite recent?
It's actually something I only just started doing in the past year or so. When I initially started making work, it was for other people to enjoy. As I became more aware of issues I wanted to engage with, I realised that it is possible to explore these ideas while still making work that looks good and appeals to people.

Some of your work also contains a lot of BDSM-friendly queer sexual imagery  Have you ever experienced any kind of backlash or censoring from depicting male submissives/BDSM inspired art?
I’ve actually found that the opposite is true. When I started making more explicit work and sharing it, people began to engage with my content more and it definitely drew people in.

Fantasy & Desire (2017)
Embroidery on Faux Leather, Chain, Steel Pole

Do you enjoy taking risks with your work? Yes! If you’re not taking risks, you’re not pushing yourself to develop. My best work is always the work where I’m not sure what it is going to be once it is finished.

Very true... Which is more important to you, the original concept behind the work, or the way it is executed?
I think original ideas are great, but in my own process ideas change a lot through out working. I think as long as I have work at the end that is executed well in an interesting way then I’m pleased.

Traces, (2018), 
Spray Paint, Acrylic, Collage, Tarpaulin
160cm x 110c

In that sense, how do you know when a piece is finished?
The whole process of creating work feels very organic to me so projects usually come to a finish when it feels like I’ve pushed a certain technique or idea far enough.

Do you think Art is a good medium for questioning politics, society and the like? 
Definitely! Especially with social media, art and anything visual is a great way to engage with a viewer and get them to think about a certain theme or question. I think its extremely important because it’s such an effective way to engage with a wider audience. Look at people like Keith Haring whose work did so much for the Act Up movement. Now he’s a cultural icon and his work changed people’s views on sexual health and the AIDs crisis.



Can you tell us a little about living in London? Would you say that living in London has encouraged you to work harder/pushed you to create more?
I moved to London for University so it came with a lot of change. While the city changed the way in which I worked, so did the people I was surrounded by. It definitely gives you a lot more access to things such as materials and people a lot easier. But at the same time, you have to work a lot harder to be noticed and London is a very demanding city.

Who are your favourite artists?
Yahoo Kusama. Jeff Koons. Sophie. Charley Peters. Molly Soda. Freddie Albrighton. Signs Pierce. A lot of contemporary artists and painters.



What are your plans for the next year? Do you have any exhibitions/viewings or collabs coming up?
I am graduating this year, my degree show is on the 20th of June at LCC, which I’m curating with some other very talented people. After that I want to continue my practice. I don’t have any plans at the moment, but I’d love to collaborate with other artists and I really want to do more exhibitions.


 Check out Jame's website http://www.alexanderjamesowen.com, for his portfolio and shop. 
 You can also keep up with all his current work over at his instagram @alexanderjamesowen


Post a Comment

© WORKS WITHOUT WALLS. Design by FCD.