ARTIST FEATURE 04 : BEAU GERVAIS

Thursday 1 March 2018


t's Artist Feature 04, and today we're talking to the wonderful Beau Gervais. Beau is an artist living in Brighton, whose work you may have seen in Bond St Coffee, featured in Our Daily Edit or on her instagram @mistlebeau.Beau is one badass lady. Not only does she have a gold hoop earring collection rival to none and an achinly beautiful flat, but she's also a strong feminist figure in the illustration scene. 

Hi Beau! Will you tell us a little about yourself and your work? 
My name is Beau (short for Isabeau), I'm an artist and illustrator and recent graduate from the University of Brighton. My work focuses on the personal relationships with have with each other and ourselves, often with a focus on the female gaze and experience.

When did you start creating art? 
I've been creative my whole life, I've never wanted to do anything else. My mum still has huge folders of all of the drawings I did when I was little, #1 fan.


When you work do you have a specific method or is it more spontanous? 
I used to be very involved with the studio culture at uni, but having graduated and living in a flat without a work space I often look to small cafes to get in the work mode. I like to do a lot of observational drawing too so setting up in cafes gives me everything I need right in front of me. I find it hard to force myself to be creative, but sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery and some coffee.

We feel you,  coffee is the ultimate boost for getting in a working mode! Would you say you try and get specific themes across in your work?
My work is often quite minimal, but I try and capture distinctive emotions of my subjects to allow the viewer to connect to them. I often draw myself, or my close friends just hanging out having dinner or out in cafes - theres beauty and understanding in the simple mundanities of daily experiences.

We love that. Who are your favourite artists?
Matisse, Picasso, Barbara Hepworth, Frida Kahlo.

Do you find it challenging juggling art and work as a young person in 2018?  
It's definitely a fine balance, being a recent graduate I had to sacrifice a lot of my creative time to keep my head above water and pay rent. I'm finding it a bit easier now 6 months later, I just have to make sure no matter what I still try and set aside time to draw - it helps keep me grounded and not lose sight of what I want to do.

What’s your favourite thing about living in Brighton?
The convenience of having everything on your doorstep, never ceases to please me that you can basically walk anywhere in like 15 minutes. I'm from London and always used to factor in a buffer of an hour to get anywhere, we are spoiled in Brighton having everything at our fingertips.

Photo Credit: Beau Gervais


We notice your work has certain trade marks - like the gold hoop earrings! Would you say you are inspired by fashion, or that your work also plays on fashion?
The hoops are a staple! I'm very much inspired by fashion, as me and my flat mate often find ourselves falling in love with clothes and shoes, it's our greatest love and biggest downfall. I love trying to capture people's personal style, your clothes and the way you style your world around you shows a lot about who you are as a person and I find those details really captivating.

I saw that you’re currently working with Bond Street Coffee, and Our Daily Edit. Do you have any upcoming exhibitions or anything else planned in the near futures? 
I've loved working with both Our Daily Edit and Bond Street Coffee, they've allowed me to explore 2 different aspects of my illustrating practice. The work for ODE (Christmas and then valentines cards) was created on commission with a customer and market in mind, and I had to adhere to the level of professionalism that they carry themselves, it was a good challenge to refine my finish and make something up to scratch!

The work for Bond Street played off of my love of casually drawing people and scenes around me, it was a lot more playful and sketchy but it suited the vibe of the shop. I've had a lot of fun making work for both and would love to do more commercial illustration like it so just have to be on the look out for opportunities. I'd like to eventually be in an exhibition again but I don't have any immediate plans.

Photo Credit: Beau Gervais
BOND STREET COFFEE
What does it mean to you to collaborate with Brighton based companies? 
It makes me feel really part of the creative community here which is something Brighton shines at. There's a big sense of support within the independent shops and cafes, working with local creatives just ties into that and that's really special. I feel lucky to have been able to be a part of it.

Are you creative in any other ways? 
I'd say I was or more so used to be musical, I used to play the cello and piano at school, that was a while ago but music is still integral to my life and I love working with musicians to creative visuals for them. I feel like if you are a creative person, it touches many aspects of your life anyways. I like to think I've been creative and considerate of the way my flat looks, and what I wear each day.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about, spread the word about or talk us through?
I've got some big things in the pipe line, but I can't reveal anything yet! Apart from that, I'm just really appreciative of the platform women and women artists are being given now more than ever. It's so important that women support each other, but also that society recognises that our opinions and creative talents are valid and that women shouldn't be pitted against each other. I've been lucky to have some truly great strong female role models in my life and I have no doubt that they're some of the reasons I see myself as a strong feminist today. I'm excited to see what more women will achieve in the future.

You can buy Beau's artwork here, follow her on instagram here.

Post a Comment

© WORKS WITHOUT WALLS. Design by FCD.