ARTIST FEATURE 12: LAYLA ANDREWS

Tuesday 24 April 2018

Works Without Walls is back from a quick mini-break to the South of France, and we're so excited to share lots of new content with you all! It's humpday, and today we've got Artist Feature 12 for ya! Wow, where did the time go? 21 year old Layla Andrews is a young artist known mainly for her large scale, expressionist and abstract portraits. Layla works closely with companies and charities across the globe including the South African Embassy, Nelson Mandela’s Children’s Charity, WWF UK, Pride London and The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium creating artwork for promotion or to be auctioned. Ranging from personal to political, Layla's colourful works provide a vibrant insight into the exploration of modern portraiture.





Hello Layla! It's lovely to meet you. When did you start creating art?  
I have been creating art for as long as I can remember. But my career first kick started when I was 15. I created a large piece of Nelson Mandela which the South African Embassy acquired, it was amazing to have recognition by an institution I admired, and at such a young age!

You describe your career 'taking off' at 15. Have you always intentionally planned on Art being your passion and career? Did you study Art at university? 
Yes, art is always going to be a huge part of my life so continuing it as a career would be the dream. I did not study it at university, I was very fortunate that my career started quite early so I thought it wouldn’t be necessary to study art if I paint everyday anyway. I am actually studying a History degree which is brilliant because history and politics fuel so much of my work- it provides huge inspiration. 

You mostly work with portraiture. Would you say you have a specific method of working? Or is more a habit of drawing when you feel suddenly inspired?
I don’t have a particularly specific method of working. I want to paint everyday so I try to. Although, I can't paint unless I'm in the right mind set - if I am feeling pretty rats and I try, the outcome is usually futile. For me, generally, positive brain means positive outcome.



Would you say you try and get specific themes across in your work? 
My work ranges from personal to political; Inspiration comes in all different forms.

Who are your favourite artists? 
My favourite artist in the world is Ralph Steadman – his political commentary is too genius. I am also a fan of Andrew Salgado’s portraits- the combination of colour and violent brushwork is so good on the eyes. 




 We absolutely love your animal farm-esque piece. In a way, it almost acts as a follow up to the orginal Ralph Steadman drawings for the novel. Do you use literature for inspiration a lot? 
Ah yes thank you! I am a big, big Orwell fan. I had the privilege of presenting that piece to his son actually which was wicked! Not too often, but I think when you read anything he has written or said inspiration is unavoidable. 




Your work includes a lot of really wonderful portraits. Do you use life models? Photos? What do you use for inspiration? 
Thank you! Usually I photograph people myself and then I sit with them to go through and find a few photos that they feel really captures them.




Often when we speak to young artists they say that they find it challenging to build a career in Art; juggling art, work and life as a young person in 2018. Would you agree with this?
Yes, it is hard to find time to get everything done - but that’s life. My main issue with art is that I feel it is quite an elitist and exclusive industry-which is something I have always desperately tried to avoid. Subjectivity enables room for vast criticism but I always say if you paint what you like and like what you paint then you’re doing it right.

You've done a lot of exhibitions in the last year, including your own at the OXO tower - super exciting! Are there any exhibitions coming up? 
Yes, it has been a real busy time! Having an exhibition at the OXO was great fun. In 6 days we had over 2500 visitors to the exhibition which is wicked! I could not have wished for a more positive response. Yes, there is an exhibition in London on the horizon, I will have to keep you posted with the details!


To see more of Layla's work, see the Works Without Walls instagram. Otherwise, have a look at her website or visit her instagram for more of her amazing work. 

Post a Comment

© WORKS WITHOUT WALLS. Design by FCD.